Thursday, April 10, 2008

1959 at the Carlsbad Caverns Visitor Center Information Desk

Photobucket























Is there anyone still around who still remembers working this 1959 particular information desk? Well, I do not know who else does, but I remember working the desk above from June 1971- January 1972 and so does my lovely wife who also worked it in the summer of 1969 and in 1971 – 1972 again. Offered a permanent GS-5 Park Guide job, she turned it down, married me, and accompanied me to Grand Canyon training, then to Washington D.C. in 1972. The NPS lost; I prevailed.

Check out the cool little kids in the front of the crowd.

Do you remember the super CCGMA cooperation association bookstore that T.K. Kajiki built during the Ed Greene Interpretation Chief era? The store, wonderfully modern, with its wide selection of products, had one drawback to some people (and I confess I was one of them): the beautiful view off the escarpment disappeared, sad to recall.

This picture shows those original windows of yore. In 1971, we displayed our wares that were for sale under a glass cover on top of the information desk. As I recall, we had "thumb-through" copies that a visitor could request to, well, yeah, as you might have guessed, thumb through.

This information desk in 1959 was a far cry from the modern sales facilities in store for the caverns future. I eagerly look forward to what our VC rehab is going to bring:

**for the visitors
**for the employees
**for the interpretation of the resources/visitor services
**for the NPS mission
**for CCGMA continuing interpretation for the visitors
**for the new concession services contributions to the enjoyment of visitor trips here
**for improving the view from the inside to the outside
**for the other things that aren't occurring to me right now (send me a comment, speak up, be heard)

One of the employees currently working at the caverns worked at the ticket booth (at the far end of the building in 1971 - 1972, who knew me when I was 24 and I knew her when she was an NPS employee of only 8 or 9 years old).

Another of the employees currently working here was born in 1959. I met her when she was 27 years old and I was 39 years old. Soon to be 61(me, not her), I don't know how old she is; yes I do, but I am afraid to publicize it.

This particular picture has a new special meaning developed only over the last couple weeks. I dedicate this post to Madam Detective, a special name that I have for her.

Everything changes in history.

Tempus Fugit.

Best wishes to the Bieri’s, the Thomas’s, and Shannan

Bob Hoff

© Bob Hoff, 2008

Including all previous issues

5 comments:

yanmaneee said...

air max 2019
michael kors outlet
balenciaga shoes
off white clothing
stephen curry shoes
lebron 15 shoes
valentino
coach handbags
cheap jordans
yeezy boost

Assignment Help said...

Choose Assignment Help Services when you have no time to write your assignment. You can’t make your academic papers effective if you have less time to infuse in your assignments. So, opt for online assignment writing and connect with experts for your homework.

yanmaneee said...

kyrie 6
yeezy 700
stone island t shirt
kd 12
supreme clothing
yeezys
longchamp outlet
kyrie 5 spongebob
off white nike
yeezy boost

Windstream Email Login said...

I have gone through this article, and I found it really worthy. The in-depth content mentioned is really amazing and it really helped in gaining some insight in this topic. I would request you to have a look on these sites TWC Roadrunner login
, Bellsouth.Net Email Login , Bellsouth email login

Goodtime said...

Thanks for sharing this useful and interesting information, checkout this it can be useful to you. Keep on sending in more useful and amazing information on your blog auk post utme past questions and answers pdf download